Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tale of A Short Sale Adventure

So, I've been threatening to do this for several years...so here it goes...

Tale of A Short Sale Adventure

First, let me start with the explanation that a short sale listing is never taken lightly. Those of us who are up for the challenge have our hearts in the right place or just like torture! So several months ago, when I came across a homeowner in an area that I have had several other listings and sales in the past year I volunteered to help. I briefed the homeowners on the process and with their full cooperation started into this adventure.

Within a short period of time we had an offer & began the process of waiting & badgering. Needless to say, after an extended period the Buyer got tired and walked away. This only after the unnamed mega bank had changed the locks without providing a key to us so that their Broker Price Opinion agent could get in. Regardless, about 2 weeks later we had an answer in the form of a counteroffer for about 11-14K more than the property can actually sell for at this time.

My angst is not with this process, but of the lack of communication. Have you seen the movie "Ground Hog Day"? In the movie, Bill Murray is living the same day over & over again, until he gets it right. He really has to change his attitude and get it right before he is allowed to move on, but day after day he wakes up and is still faced with it being Ground Hog Day. This is how I feel! So each day I work harder to improve my attitude, even though each day I am not able to speak with the negotiator, his boss or his bosses boss. I receive no communication, email, returned calls nor can I penetrate the walls of this institution for a set of keys that are forever lost in the mail it seems. My only ray of joy is making customer service agent that I am on the phone with laugh or at least giggle!

Bottom line, I'm not sure that the things that have been done to improve the "Housing Crisis" have helped many, but it seems to me that more must be done. I need the banks to get right in their hearts, or their customer service department to understand that we all serve the consumer. We must continue to do what is right for the customer & the bank by moving forward in a timely matter to save them the cost of foreclosure and to save the consumer their credit.

1 comment:

  1. Wendy,
    I LOVE this post! I do short sales everyday and are basically 90% of my biz now and COMPLETELY agree with you. I hope your next short sale goes better. Good luck and I'm sorry short sales are so frustrating and the sad thing I they're not goof anywhere anytime soon. Hopefully something will be done to streamline these so we can help our Sellers!

    ReplyDelete